What Kind of Man is This?

“Then Jesus got into the boat and His disciples followed Him. Suddenly, a furious storm came upon the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke Him, saying, ‘Lord, save us! We are going to drown!’ He replied, ‘You of little faith, why are you afraid?’ Then He got up and rebuked the winds and waves, and it was completely calm. The men were amazed and asked, 

‘What kind of man is this, that even the winds and waves obey Him?’” (Matthew 8:23-27, NIV)

When I read about the miracles of Jesus in the New Testament, I’m always partial to this one; it’s a reminder of the powerful God we serve. Even the winds and waves obey Him. But lately...I’ve been one of those disciples. 

If I’d been there on the boat that day, Jesus would have been speaking to me when He said, “You of little faith. Why are you afraid?

As much as I hate to admit it, I can be so, so faithless. 

I see and read about the miracles of Jesus; I read about the Man who healed the sick, walked on water, raised the dead, calmed the waves...I want to believe that same Jesus will save me, but what do I do when I feel so abandoned? 

There are times in my life when I doubt, whether it be God’s goodness, His love, or His presence. This week has been so hard. I don’t want to be one of those scared disciples, yet I am. And then yesterday, as I read this story again, I heard it in a different perspective. Instead of hearing a harsh rebuke, I heard a gentle, loving Father, saying, 

“You of little faith. Why are you afraid? Why do you doubt? Don’t you know I love you, that I am with you, that I died for you? Just let go. My arms will catch you. You don’t have to be afraid.” 

As I read it this way, I began to stop feeling so abandoned, so broken, and so beaten. And now, I can’t help but think the same thing as the disciples that day - what kind of man is this? As I ponder, I know:

This is a Man who thought I was worth dying for. 
This is a Man who forgives me in every moment of faithlessness. 
This is a Man who holds me on the nights my pain overwhelms me. 
This is a Man who comforts me when the grief is too much to take. 

Even when I am faithless, He remains faithful. Even when I doubt, He remains good. So as hard as it is at times, I will resolve myself to see that goodness. I will resolve myself to believe even when I cannot see. I will wake up in the morning and remember that come what may - be it sickness, or pain, or death, or grief - He is good.

“For whoever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world - our faith.” (1 John 5:4, NASB)

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Childless Mother

Still I Rise

Girl of Light