Between a Rock and a Hard Place

I don’t know if there’s a biblical figure I relate to more than Peter. Peter was just a regular guy; a plain old fisherman called by Jesus to be one of His 12 disciples. In one of my favorite pieces of Scripture, Jesus asks the 12 who they believe He is; Peter confesses before them that Jesus is indeed the Christ and Son of God (Matthew 16:16). Jesus responds, 

“Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by My Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hell will not overcome it” (Matthew 16:17-18, NIV). 

This is such an incredible revelation, but I’ve got to be honest...it’s not my favorite part. My favorite part comes directly after, when Jesus foretells of His crucifixion; that He must suffer and be killed, then be raised to life on the third day: 

“Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him, ‘Never, Lord! This shall never happen to You!’ Jesus turned and said to him, ‘Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me!’” (Matthew 16:21-23, NIV). 

I know, it’s crazy that that’s my favorite part - Jesus has just called Peter blessed, and minutes later a stumbling block. But Peter represents so many of us in our walks with Jesus. We stride, we stumble; we sprint, we fall down - we are up and down, just like Peter was. 

Peter, the only disciple who was brave enough to walk on the waves out to Jesus. (Matthew 14:28)

Peter, the disciple to falter in his faith and fall beneath the waves. (Matthew 14:30)

Peter, the disciple to run into the empty tomb after he heard that Jesus had risen. (John 20:4)

Peter, the disciple to deny Jesus three times. (John 18:25)

Peter, the disciple to stand up to the council of the Sanhedrin. (Acts 4:8-12)

Peter, at times the legalist and ever the deflector. (Acts 10:14, John 21:20-23)

When I look over my walk with Jesus, I see so much of Peter...

Taylor, the disciple who changed her degree to follow His call. 

Taylor, the disciple to take three and a half years to make that decision. 

Taylor, the disciple who’d share her faith with total strangers. 

Taylor, the disciple who wouldn’t control her pride. 

Taylor, the disciple who still believed after she got sick. 

Taylor, the disciple who cried out far too often, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” My God, my God, why have You forsaken me? 

I’ve never liked admitting that my faith has had so many ups and downs. I’d love to pretend that I have it all together. In the last year, I have tried so hard to put an end to my pride and shortcomings...and I won’t lie, I fail every day. But when I fail, I recall this passage: 

“For you were continually straying like sheep, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Guardian of your souls” (1 Peter 2:24, NASB). 

Christ’s sacrifice on the Cross means that no matter how many times I stumble in my pride, trip in my faith, or sink beneath the waters, Jesus’s hand is reaching for me. There’s no shame, no condemnation - His forgiveness is deep and unending. If your faith looks like Peter’s (as mine does), don’t sink down in shame. Instead, pick up you sword, and fight against those strongholds of doubt, impulsivity, and pride. I promise, Jesus is waiting with open arms. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Childless Mother

Still I Rise

Girl of Light